The Fear

Posted by Emily , Wednesday, May 11, 2011 6:46 PM

Does anyone remember that Friends episode where Joey tells Rachel she needs to get "the fear?"  Let me refresh your memory:
 
RACHEL: I'm training to be better at a job that I hate, my life officially sucks.
JOEY: Look Rach, wasn't this supposed to a temporary thing? I thought you wanted to do fashion stuff?
RACHEL: Well, yeah! I'm still pursuing that.
CHANDLER: How... exactly are you pursuing that? Y'know other than sending out resumes like what, two years ago?
RACHEL: Well, I'm also sending out.... good thoughts.
JOEY: If you ask me, as long as you got this job, you've got nothing pushing you to get another one. You need the fear.
RACHEL: The fear?
CHANDLER: He's right, if you quit this job, you then have motivation to go after a job you really want.
RACHEL: Well then how come you're still at a job that you hate, I mean why don't you quit and get 'the fear'?
CHANDLER: Because, I'm too afraid.

I didn't want that to be me.  Yes, I take life advice from TV shows.  Specifically, Friends.  More specifically, this guy:



How you doin'?
 I quit my job today. Tell me I did the right thing.  I'm drowning "the fear" in wine.   Let me know if you hear of any job opportunities.

3 Response to "The Fear"

juliebrunner Says:

AHHHHHH!!!! i'm proud of you :) it will work out! you know how I know that? because you referenced Joey.

ps. i'm unemployed too! fun!

Says:

Dang girl I need to read your blog more often!! I'm proud of you!!! You've got to do what makes you happy. You will survive. Everyone is going through tough times right now, but it won't last forever - you've got to live for what's best for you and Matt.

And may I just make one suggestion... UNEMPLOYMENT PARTY!!!!?!?!?!!!!?! And also, I've found that in times like these, it's more fun to call yourself a "homemaker."

juliebrunner Says:

Oh girl. I'm def unemployed at this time. We should probably lay put at a pool drinking cold ones all summer. When are you available? I'm available now.

Post a Comment